It’s gone a bit brrr …, but don’t let the cold weather take your car by surprise – or even off the road – by not preparing it for the wet, windy and freezing conditions!
There are many ways to reduce the chances of breakdown and to get your car winter-ready!
Generally speaking, it is a good idea to simply factor in some EXTRAs!
- Extra journey time
- Extra stopping time
- Extra space to the car in front of you
- Extra care of fuel levels thus limiting the risk of running out in case of delays
- Extra winter equipment such as cloths, ice scrapers and a bottle of screenwash
More specifically, the three main things look out for and look after are your car’s engine, tyres and your vision whilst driving. Think healthy (engine), roadworthy (tyres) and clear (vision)!
To ensure the engine is healthy and frost resistant:
- Get the battery checked, and if necessary, replaced
- Ensure that the water levels are not just right, but that there is sufficient anti-freeze in the coolant
- Make sure to check your car has enough oil
To warrant that the tyres are roadworthy and can keep up with the often icy and slippery roads:
- Check the condition and depth of your tyres
- Carry out a visual check for any damage such as splits or bulges
- For improved stability consider investing in proper snow tyres
To make sure that your vision is never compromised in the wintry, often icy and filthy weather conditions:
- Replace damaged or worn wiper blades
- Clean the head lights, and check light bulbs regularly
- Fill up on screen wash with anti-freeze
- Clear your windscreen – inside and out – AND before you start your journey!
These are just some essential precautions you can take to drive safely through winter.
Professional winter maintenance and servicing
If you want to have real confidence that your car is ready for winter, we recommend you get it serviced. “Car servicing is better than cure” as we always say.
To book your car in or for an initial chat contact Mike today on 020 8830 0476 or email@example.com